A cockatiel requires care every day to ensure his health and well-being. Birds are happiest when they are secure and comfortable in a safe environment. You can help your cockatiel feel more secure by establishing a daily routine and performing the same tasks at around the same time every day. This way, your cockatiel knows his needs will be met by the people he considers to be his family.
Here are some of the things you’ll need to do every single day for your
• Observe your bird for any changes in his behavior or routine. Report any changes to your avian veterinarian immediately.
• Offer fresh food and remove old food. Wash the food dish thoroughly with detergent and water. Rinse thoroughly and allow the dish to air dry.
• Remove the water dish and replace it with a clean dish full of fresh water. Wash the soiled dish thoroughly with detergent and water.
• Change the paper in the cage tray.
• Let the bird out of his cage for supervised playtime.
Finally, you’ll need to cover your bird’s cage at about the same time every night to let him know it’s bedtime. When you cover the cage, you’ll probably hear your bird rustling around for a bit, perhaps getting a drink of water or a last mouthful of seeds before settling in for the night. Keep in mind that your cockatiel will require eight to ten hours of sleep a day, but you can expect that he will take naps during the day to supplement his nightly snooze.