When Do Cockatiels Stop Growing?

When do cockatiels stop growing

When do cockatiels stop growing? Baby cockatiels reach their full adult size when they are about a year old. However, they may continue to fill out and add weight until they are 18 months to 2 years old. So, if you’re wondering when your cockatiel will stop growing, the answer is that it depends on the individual bird.

Cockatiels are one of the most popular birds kept as pets, and for good reasons. Cockatiels are bright, social, and enjoyable to keep. However, it’s crucial to understand what a normal growth rate looks like and how big your weeks old bird may grow before adopting one. This will assist you in determining whether there is a problem by letting you know if your bird’s development is progressing faster or slower than expected for this species.

When do cockatiels stop growing

When Do Cockatiels Stop Growing?

Cockatiels reach full size at around 12 months of age, although some will cease growing as early as six months. Internal growth continues to progress beyond 12 months of age in most cases of baby birds. Cockatiels don’t usually complete sexual maturity until they are approximately 12-24 months old, meaning that your baby bird or baby cockatiel may appear to be fully grown but still have development left within.

When Do Cockatiels Stop Growing: Factors Affecting the Size of Cockatiels

Most of the time, a cockatiel chicks’ size is determined by how well young cockatiels are nourished. If a bird isn’t given enough food or the right nutrients, they probably won’t grow as much as other cockatiels. Although, there are some birds that will stay small even when eating healthy foods. The best way to make sure your young birds is growing properly is to give them enough food and variety in their diet.

When Do Cockatiels Stop Growing: How to Measure Your Cockatiel

A gram scale is the best way to measure your cockatiel. While you can purchase scales that weigh in grams from stores like baby and grocery, a kitchen gram scale will be the most accurate for measuring smaller weights–which is key when trying to get an accurate weight of a growing cockatiel.

Although your avian vet can weigh your cockatiel, it generally requires an appointment and accompanying stress for your bird. To avoid this stressful experience, try weighing your bird at home when possible.

Ideal Diet for Maintaining a Healthy Weight

Commercial pelleted foods or bird seed should be the main source of nutrition for your female bird and cockatiel’s healthy weight. Pellets and seeds should make up the bulk of baby parrots diet, with around 75 percent. Three-quarters of it should be pellets, while one-quarter should be seeds. Fresh fruits and vegetables (and two other ingredients) must make up the remaining 25% of a cockatiel’s diet.

To avoid making your cockatiel obese and sick, approximately 30-40 grams of pellets and seeds per day with an additional 10-20 grams of fruits and veggies is the ideal amount.

How Much Room Does A Cockatiel Need?

Cockatiels are high-spirited birds, and you must provide them with a cage that is big enough to accommodate their lengthy tail, pin feathers and head crest, even breeding cockatiels. The larger the enclosure, the more pleasant it will be for your pet.

The minimum cage size is 24 inches long by 18 inches wide. The more area you can offer, the better. On two sides, a decent cage must have horizontal bars. Your adult bird will enjoy climbing on horizontal bars because they provide a great climbing area. To prevent injuries, keep the distance between each bar at 3 1/4 inches or less.

Furthermore, you should provide your adult birds with two to three perches of various sizes, textures, and shapes for additional stimulation. Perches must be large enough for your pet to stand naturally and not fall over.

When Do Cockatiels Stop Growing-Bottom Line

Cockatiels usually stop growing around the 12-month mark, but their internal development continues for a bit longer. Proper nutrition is the key to ensuring healthy growth in your cockatiel. A quality pellet diet, supplemented with fresh fruits and vegetables, is the best way to ensure your cockatiel grows to its full potential.

Table of Contents